twiddly twiddly pom pom
Apr. 3rd, 2004 11:20 amDid anyone else see the George Harrison tribute concert last night?
Dad and I just caught a bit of it, but it was pretty good. I had a crash course in Beatles history because dad kept saying that his (George's) son looked uncannily like him, and I said I'd never seen pictures of the Beatles that young - so out came the huge anthology, and he's right, the resemblance is uncanny. My head is now filled with obscure beatles knowledge and quotes :)
I ended up going back to peter's house the other night when he came round. The plan was to buy a bag of weed and spend a hazy evening together, but that fell through. We still had a good long talk though.
Is it true Ouzo is made from squids? He didn't think to mention this to his best vegetarian friend until the next afternoon.... grrr....
Peter, family and friend were going to an art exhibition yesterday, so I ended up going along with them. Artbrussel is a yearly showcase where galleries from all over europe come and display work. It's huge. I was a little intimidated at first - artists and people at art exhibitions tend to look fantastic and give off vibes of 'I am much better and know much more than you'. The place was full of eccentrically dressed stick insects smoking french cigarettes and drinking the 7E a glass champagne (I thought artists were supposed to be poor?)
But then I realised that thanks to years of hanging around with Peter, I probably know more about art history than most of them, and even if I didn't, I still have an opinion. which was, incidentally, that a lot of it was awful.
There were some beauties though, and I could easily have spent a whole day in there.
Note to self: check out more of Erwin Olaf's photography. Especially the Girls series.
Last night, went to see Big Fish with mum and dad.
It was alright. A lot less dark and more schmaltzy than I had expected, but enjoyable.
Unfortunately, 3 days has been long enough for me to remember why I never liked living here. That's a rant for a whole different post tho.
Dad and I just caught a bit of it, but it was pretty good. I had a crash course in Beatles history because dad kept saying that his (George's) son looked uncannily like him, and I said I'd never seen pictures of the Beatles that young - so out came the huge anthology, and he's right, the resemblance is uncanny. My head is now filled with obscure beatles knowledge and quotes :)
I ended up going back to peter's house the other night when he came round. The plan was to buy a bag of weed and spend a hazy evening together, but that fell through. We still had a good long talk though.
Is it true Ouzo is made from squids? He didn't think to mention this to his best vegetarian friend until the next afternoon.... grrr....
Peter, family and friend were going to an art exhibition yesterday, so I ended up going along with them. Artbrussel is a yearly showcase where galleries from all over europe come and display work. It's huge. I was a little intimidated at first - artists and people at art exhibitions tend to look fantastic and give off vibes of 'I am much better and know much more than you'. The place was full of eccentrically dressed stick insects smoking french cigarettes and drinking the 7E a glass champagne (I thought artists were supposed to be poor?)
But then I realised that thanks to years of hanging around with Peter, I probably know more about art history than most of them, and even if I didn't, I still have an opinion. which was, incidentally, that a lot of it was awful.
There were some beauties though, and I could easily have spent a whole day in there.
Note to self: check out more of Erwin Olaf's photography. Especially the Girls series.
Last night, went to see Big Fish with mum and dad.
It was alright. A lot less dark and more schmaltzy than I had expected, but enjoyable.
Unfortunately, 3 days has been long enough for me to remember why I never liked living here. That's a rant for a whole different post tho.
no subject
Date: 2004-04-03 10:17 am (UTC)Erm squids? I never heard that, but I do puke at the smell of ouzo so I can see why it may have escaped me. It doesnt sound likely, but it is a foreign drink. you know what these foreiners are like-they'll drink anything (see unicum). But squid liqueur....dear gods thats wrong!
no subject
Date: 2004-04-03 12:52 pm (UTC)As for the whole squid-ink thing... nah, don't even wanna contemplate it. Think I will stick to the (only slightly dodgy) copious red wine, champagne and amaretto...
mmmm.....
no subject
Date: 2004-04-04 07:51 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2004-04-05 09:23 am (UTC)